The focus of this role is to manage the writing team that develops content for collateral, digital channels, advertising, press releases, newsletters, presentations and internal communications. While this role will also be expected to pitch in when copy, content and ideas are needed, the primary role is to nurture, manage and develop the Shinola team and especially the Shinola voice. The Copy Manager will be responsible for reviewing and editing all copy projects for the department and acting as a gatekeeper for the community management team’s social comments and voice. This position reports to the Brand Marketing Director.
This individual must feel comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and able to meet tight deadlines. Work is primarily done via email, in meetings, and in an open space work environment. This role is part creative – helping to drive the voice social media campaigns and content creation concepts and initiatives – and part strategic thinking to oversee each project and manage the time of writers and freelancers.
In addition, this role manages all copy needs and requires strong leadership skills, the ability to problem solve and work efficiently within the marketing budget when hiring freelancers and proofreading services. Must be able to work fluidly with other departments and anticipate their needs. Copy requests come from everywhere – printed collateral, digital ads, headline writing, email marketing, evites, and customer service letters are just a few examples. Shinola currently works with the Asana project management system, as well as verbal and written requests. This role will not only be expected to get requests completed on time, but improve our current systems. A dedication to correct grammar and elevated writing skills is paramount, as this role needs to be an editor to the copywriter and blog writer, as well as manage freelance writers.
● Oversee the creation and writing of all copy for digital content, social channels, printed collateral, advertising, press releases, event evites, newsletters, presentations, internal communications and ecommerce product descriptions.
● Oversee all copy for social media channels.
● Work with strategy lead to develop and execute the editorial calendar for social and blog. This position works closely with respective team members to ensure that the editorial calendar is aligned with events, product launches and social media.
● Brainstorm and develop innovative ideas to launch product, support a new store opening and/or a
● Oversees and delegates assignments to writers and manages their workloads / bandwidth.
● Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication or Advertising
● 7-8 years of professional writing experience that spans from crisp, short-form advertising to long-form work such as newsletters and blogs.
● Strong ability to research, interview, and source information
● Basic understanding of search engine-optimized copy
● Strong attention to detail. Must be highly organized
● Superior knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and proofreading
Note: Shinola is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.